Driven by a growing desire for a flawless light colored skin has made the skin whitening market over 10 billion dollars. Skin whitening is said to be one to enhance one’s physical appearance. Whitening masks are hydrating and help brighten uneven skin tones and get rid of discolorations and acne scars by lessening the concentration of melanin. Melanin is the primary determinant of skin color. Many people use whitening masks to get rid of hyperpigmentation’s, especially people engaged in an open and media related occupation like modeling and acting. You would use this type of mask by applying it to your face and let it stay there for a couple of minutes and then wash it off.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF WHITENING PRODUCTS
Here is a list of some of the ingredients that are used in whitening masks
- Vitamin C, which has beneficial effects on skin cells and can help treat and prevent ultraviolet photodamage.
- Glycolic Acid is apart of active compounds known as AHA and it can help treat acne, dullness, fine lines, oiliness, and more.
- Titanium Dioxide can work as a sunscreen to protect your skin from UV light or excess melanin formation
- Kojic Acid can work as an anti-aging effect on the skin.
- Mulberry is also anti-aging and can protect your skin from UV rays.
- Licorice helps lighten skin and balance oil, which is good for oily skin.
- Beeswax makes a protective wall by sealing in moisture.
- Kaolin is great for acne prone skin.
- Bearberry extract is a natural skin brightener.
- Dead sea minerals help treat eczema, acne, and psoriasis. It also helps your skin your retain moisture.
- Azelaic Acid can treat rosacea and it can help prevent clogged pores.
- Ellagic Acid can lighten skin.
- Arbutin is a natural whitening
- Hydroquinone decreases the melanin in your skin. It’s mostly used to lighten areas like age spots, acne scars, chloasma, and freckles.
4 DIFFERENT TYPES OF HYPERPIGMENTATION
First things first, let’s understand what hyperpigmentation means. It means an excess or overproduction of pigment and it also can be hard and difficult to differentiate spots.
- Freckles are spots that are clustered and are flat and circular. People mostly get freckles from their genetics, but exposure to the sun and other environmental factors could darken freckles. It occurs on the arms, face, and chest. It can be the color black, dark brown, or red. You could get rid of it by laser.
- Melasma mostly occurs to a pregnant woman and it’s also known as chloasma or pregnancy mask. Melasma is sometimes caused by birth control pills, pregnancy, stress, and etc. With this type of hyperpigmentation, it is generally symmetric and has defined edges. It occurs on the sides of the face, the upper part of the nose, on the cheeks, above the lips, and forehead. All races can get this but most people with olive or brown skin tones get it. Melasma is hard to treat because it can come back.
- Sunspots also knew as liver spots or solar lentigines are dark brown and small, flat spots. They can occur anywhere on the body and are caused by UV sun exposure also the amount of UV light your melanin pigments have been exposed to. This type of hyperpigmentation needs to be monitored as they can develop into melanoma and skin cancer. The one way that you can get rid of it, is by laser treatment.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation looks like flat spots can be anywhere on your face, and can be the color brown, pink, or red. Burns, acne, chemical peels and dermabrasion can cause this. You can get rid of it but it can reoccur.
2 DIY WHITENING MASKS
Pumpkin whitening Mask
- Mix ½ teaspoon of honey and milk and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin puree. To make the pumpkin puree cut a pumpkin into lots of pieces next you need to boil them, lastly put them in a blender and blend it until it is a smooth paste. After that add the other ingredients. When you are done mixing the whitening mask, apply to your face and leave it there for about 20 minutes when rinse off with warm water. Use this mask 2-3 times a week and this mask is for all skin types.
Citrus whitening Mask
- Mix 1 egg white, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and grapefruit juice, and 2 teaspoons sour cream. Beat the egg white in a bowl until it’s fluffy. Then put the sour cream in a separate bowl and mix the juices with it. After that mix everything together then apply it to your face and leave it for 15 minutes. Then rinse with warm water. This whitening mask will be great for combination skin, normal skin and oily skin. If you have dry skin you can still use it but moisturize afterwards. Also use this mask twice a week before going to sleep.